[chuck-users] audio source in linux

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Sat May 3 01:43:30 EDT 2008

Apologies if I sound bloody ignorant in this:

I gather that most linux-based audio programming systems would be
playing with some basic interface provided by the system. I wonder
for instance if some basic sounds can be produced using the shell
or some kind of very rudimentary program that instructs the sound
card to, say, produce a square or sine wave. As it is a stream of numbers,
I wonder what is that underlying process which converts it to sound?

If I'm not wrong, both pure data and ChucK would be using this
same underlying system in Linux. Can anyone elucidate with
an example? I'm just trying to look beneath the surface here...

http://www.algomantra.com