[chuck-users] OSC reception not working

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Mon May 5 06:27:10 EDT 2008

Hi!

Do you get anything at all, i.e., do you see LALA? If not maybe you could
add a printout before the while(oe.nextMsg()) loop.

I've fiddled around a little bit with OSC, but just in ChucK and in Java
(using raw UDP). I tried looking a bit at the docs for PD and SC, but I
didn't find anything on OSC right away (I don't know if the OSC acronymn was
well-chosen - you get a lot of hits on "oscillator" when searching on synth
sites). Are you sure that NetAddr().send() and the PureData stuff formats
the OSC message according to "/test, i" properly, aligning the integer,
inserting zeroes and so on? I don't see the ", i" part in the sender, could
it mistake the argument for a float instead, thus needing people to listen
for "/test, f" instead? I'm guessing the senders in PD and SC don't want you
to add the argument type list.

A basic sanity test could be to implement a sender in another ChucK program
and use that to send to your existing listener. You could have some network
config problem maybe.

Just some random guesses.

/Stefan

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Sciss <contact at sciss.de> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm trying to send an OSC message from SuperCollider to chuck, which
> doesn't work. no matter what i do, the OscEvent seems never to be decoded...
>
> ChucK:
>
> OscRecv recv;
> 6449 => recv.port;
> recv.listen();
> recv.event( "/test, i" ) @=> OscEvent oe;
> spork ~ pollOscEvent();
>
> fun void pollOscEvent()
> {
>    while ( true )
>    {
>        oe => now;
>
>        while( oe.nextMsg() )
>        {
>            <<< oe.getInt() >>>;
>        }
>    }
> }
>
> SC:
>
> NetAddr( "127.0.0.1", 6449 ).sendMsg( "/test", 33 );
>

> what am i doing wrong? i tried other ports without success...
>
> thanks, -sciss-

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!