[chuck-users] [livecode] granular music recommendations?

Peter Todd chuck at xinaesthetic.net
Mon May 19 18:08:55 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'll add my voice to the chorus (cloud? swarm?) recommending Roads'
Microsound.  Although I must admit that I've never really managed to
properly listen to and enjoy any of his compositions, finding them a bit on
the cold academic side, but that may reflect a lack of time and effort on my
part more than anything.  Hey, who said music had to be about 'feeling',
anyway? ;-)

Also, Tim Blackwell has done some good work with swarms / flocking behaviour
simulations mapped to granular synthesis:
http://www.timblackwell.com/

Actually, I've done some similar things too FWIW, but nothing online etc at
the moment.  I think it's an interesting approach as one has lots of data
that might otherwise be generated randomly / stochastically that can be
mapped quite naturally to granular synthesis.  At the same time, it is
possible to interact with the system quite intuitively using a device with a
few degrees of freedom (like analysis of a normal acoustic instrument, in
Tim's case).  To me, that kind of interaction is more interesting than total
'control'; that may be getting off-topic in a way, but given the sheer
volume of numbers that are required to drive granular synthesis, the mapping
and interaction tends to be particularly important.

Even straight randomness can be have its place, though and often,
'randomness' is stochastic in a way that is informed by physics equations
etc; I think that was the case with Riverrun, for example.  I suppose that
may be where one starts getting into chin-stroking territory...

Cheers,
Peter

p.s. there is another list called microsound; might be of interest.
http://microsound.org/