[chuck-users] Granular synthesis in ChucK (was: Re: [livecode] granular music recommendations?)

Renato Fabbri renato.fabbri at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:01:47 EDT 2008

trying to add a little bit... the main idea around granular synthesis is to
make a continuous sound from a bunch of sound grains. There are different
specifications for the typical grain size, i prefer to stick to barry
trouax, saying that _typical_ grains have durations between 20 and 50 ms.
These collections of grains are called clouds, which preferably evolve in
time in some different ways (static sounds are usually not interesting) and
in which the grains are superimposed at least a little bit.

imho, to start with, its a good idea to make a cloud with sinusoidal grains,
all equal and overlapping equally as well. And, as time passes, change just
one parameter of them all, like duration, fade time, or spectral content. In
a second experiment I would be playing with sampled grains, which usually
give nice results ;o)

about an example of it, i´ve made a highly experimental python script to
impose group theory on granular synthesis. It is not a typical GS algorithm
as it does not deal with a high density of grains. And i find it better for
making melodic lines. runs only on linux and requires
sage<http://www.sagemath.org/>intalled with external python packages
installed on its own python
interpreter.... anyway, its here:
http://cortex.lems.brown.edu/~renato/sonic-art/nics<http://cortex.lems.brown.edu/%7Erenato/sonic-art/nics>