[chuck-users] How to Invert Phase of a Signal

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Mon May 26 20:10:31 EDT 2008

OK, I'm a total beginner at all this dsp stuff, so forgive ...

One way of subjectively "widening" a stereo image is to do the following:
feed the left channel back to the right with a short delay, inverted;
feed the right channel back to the left with a short delay, inverted;

By inverted, I mean change the sign of each sample (assuming we have
floating point samples).

So now the newbie question: how do you invert the signal? I have the rest of
the algorithm here:

// note: sndbuf only seems to read in one channel of the source, so use one
file for each channel of stereo source
// sound file
"r.wav"  => string right;
"l.wav"  => string left;