[chuck-users] check audio devices and set audio input

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:33:59 EDT 2008

2008/5/28 COLORSOUND <audiomedias at gmail.com>:

> Hi thanks for your reply  if i have an audio card with more than one input
> where and how do i set the desired input for recording ?

Well, after using "chuck --probe" and determining what card has what number
from ChucK's perspective you can start chuck with

chuck --dac3 --channels6 myfile.ck

here the "3" would represent the number of the soundcard to use and the 6
the number of channels you'd like to use (this would be both in and out, see
"chuck --help" for more options).

Once you have that running you can ask for a certain channel from your
soundcard's input in your code using "adc.chan(4) => my_ugen", where the "4"
would hopefully be the right channel. Remember we start counting at 0 yet
the labeling on your hardware likely starts at 1.

This can indeed be a bit confusing because the code needs to match the way
the VM is started, per default it starts in stereo mode on the default
device so in that situation it makes no sense to have code that refers to
the 6th or so input. Still; starting in stereo mode on the default device
isn't such a bad default.

I found that when working a lot with files that use a lot of channels it
saved time to write a small batch file (a shell script would also do) to
start the VM in that way and sometimes add the .ck file as well.

Hope that helps,