[chuck-users] Interesting stereo widening effect

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu May 29 01:26:09 EDT 2008

Rich Caloggero wrote:

> Try it with headphones. If you crank up the gain, then you'll hear it
> better through speakers.

We discussed this kind of effect over at linux audio user, and it seems
that this effect is a very specialized effect, only applicable at the
listeners end. This is not to discourage you, just to pass on advise
from a person who's knowledge I respect (Fons Adriaensen). That said I'm
gonna check your code out for sure, it sounds interesting!!!

Me:
"So the delay part is crucial and the result can be good?
I don't understand how long the delay should be (although I know how
fast sound travels and how far apart my ears are). Supposed I'm 10
meters away from a PA (speakers 10 meters apart),
what should the delay be? What if I'm listening at home, 3 meters
away from my home stereo (speakers 3 meters apart)?"

Fons Adriaensen:
"It's not supposed to work in those conditions. What you need is
two speakers that you see in an angle of about 20 degrees (so
much closer than normal), and a distance of around 2 to 3 meters.
The 'sweet spot' is quite small. Two or more listeners should
be behind each other, not besides. The required delay is very small,
around 100 us."

Me:
"What if I'm listening through  headphones?"

Fons Adriaensen:
"Bad idea ! Xtalk cancellation is used to *replace* headphones,
while allowing the listener to turn his/her head w.r.t. the
speakers. Allowing this makes the image much more 'real' than
with headphones."

> Thanx to the person who helped me with the inversion (sorry I forget
> your name, but you know who you are <smile>).

That would be me :-)

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte