[chuck-users] faust2ck: Use FAUST to generate ChucK UGens

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 21:01:50 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 5:57 PM, mike clemow <gelfmuse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes!  An excuse to learn Faust finally!

Heheh, that was my feeling exactly.

> >From your site:
> "I don't know if it's a 100% infallible solution yet, but I've so far
> managed to port some simple FAUST code from the catalog to ChucK,
> including freeverb!"
>
> So, let me get this straight.  You have a freeverb Chuck UGen working?!

Yes!  I was testing it earlier today!

Try copying the code from the FAUST website, and run it through
faust2ck, you'll see that it works.

(I should note that I haven't actually tested it very thoroughly, or
on all platforms, but it's a fairly simple program so I think it'll
work.)

> Amazing.

It's pretty awesome, because FAUST looks to me like a great language
for expressing DSP stuff.  Then having ChucK to do the time-based
logic is going to be a great combination, I think.

> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> I'm excited about this and I'm getting the impression that you are excited
>> too and that this might've caused you to forget that not everyone here may
>> know what Faust is;
>>
>> http://faust.grame.fr/
>>
>> ;¬)

Thanks for posting that, I did link to that page on from the
description on my website but it sure wouldn't hurt to actually
mention it in the announcement.. ;-)

>> I haven't touched it myself yet but I keep hearing good things about Faust,
>> it seems especially popular with our friends in the SC world who use it to
>> make custom externals, for example when they need certain forms of feedback.
>> I was getting the impression it's fairly friendly in usage, at least in so
>> far as tools to generate C++ code for DSP usage can be "friendly". I hope
>> that clarifies why this is so cool.
>>
>> I hope, BTW, that you are using this excellent opportunity to tell everybody
>> who asks what you are up to that you are "working on a script about Faust
>> meeting Dracula". It's too good to pass up on!

It's a good time of year to be working on this stuff.  ;-)
Coincidence?  I think not.

Steve