[chuck-users] help understanding lisa

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 17:55:20 EST 2008

Listees,

This is just for fun, but it's totally relevant.  This is currently
the state of DIY Hann (for example) envelopes for granular synthesis.
You get a couple more of these trainlets running, and you'll kill the
VM.  I absolutely love ChucK's concurrency model, but it can't handle
too much of this kind of thing.  The sample-level intervention is also
painful.

Also, you all might check my notably horrid math...

-----

1024 => int N;  // length of grain in samples

fun float hann( int n ) {
    return 0.5 * (1. - Math.cos( (2*pi*n)/(N-1) ));   // thank you,
Wikipedia.org ;-)
}

fun void hannGrain( float f ) {
    SinOsc s => dac;
    f => s.freq;
    0 => int n;
    0. => float h;

    while( n < N-1 ) {
        hann( n ) => h => s.gain;
        n++;
        1::samp => now;

while( true ) {
    spork ~ hannGrain(Math.rand2f(250.,500.));
    me.yield();
    1024::samp/2 => now;    // 50% grain overlap
}

------

If you make the random frequency a constant, it will sound like a
SinOsc.  This is mostly because of the nice envelope...

Enjoy,
Mike

http://michaelclemow.com
http://semiotech.org