[chuck-users] negative duration syntax and bug

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 23:30:07 EST 2008

Fellow ChucKists,

This is runs;

<<<-1 * second>>>;

Hence we know that negative durations are fine. This, on the other hand
causes a problem;

<<<-1::second>>>;

We can get around that by using this;

<<<(-1)::second>>>;

That one does run but it also seems very clumsy to me.

I'm getting the impression that for durations expressed like -3::second the
minus sign somehow isn't a part of the number while elsewhere it is. This
doesn't strike me as very coherent.

While I was testing some other things around negative durations I noticed
that this will crash with seg-fault;

second -=> now;

Admittedly it would be a type of expression that would only be useful with
negative durations... Probably quite rare but it shouldn't crash the whole
VM like that.