[chuck-users] Electronic ChucK

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:34:45 EDT 2008

Or you could be like Bebe and Louis LaBarron, and just overdrive the heck
out of to force things to make unintended sounds... but of course, once you
are done, you end up with a useless piece of hardware, as you burned it to
death...

Mike

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Peter Todd <chuck at xinaesthetic.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I suspect the charm of this would be the roughness and unpredictability...
> the thing'll have a life of its own, with all sorts of emergent sonic
> qualities.  Non-audiophile quality isn't a bug, it's a feature.
>
> Not sure it's got all that much to do with chuck, and I very much doubt
> it'll make anyone rich... but all good fun.
>
> Cheers,
> peter
>

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:50 PM, <inventor-66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Kassen,
>>
>> Your point is well taken.  I guess I'm not concerned about the audiophile
>> quality of this system at all.  If it's going to be so inexpensive then it
>> will probably be inaccurate as well, and I'm OK with that.  It's not
>> intended to produce perfectly orchestrated audio, but rather to do something
>> fun and interesting.
>>
>> Also, that 555 example was indeed for a variable frequency oscillator,
>> more specifically a pulse position modulator from the data sheet.  there is
>> a CV input that stops the oscillator at ground and sets maximum frequency at
>> Vcc.  Though to get a 50% duty cycle one must add a flip-flop to the output.
>>
>> I'm really just going for a cool toy that will make lights blink and go
>> woo-woo when I put together a ring of oscillators, this does not have to be
>> super precise.  That and the limited types of modulation input kind of make
>> for a departure from ChucK, however.  But that's OK too.  It can simply be
>> ChucK-inspired not ChucK duplicated.
>>
>> Les
>> (Inventor)

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician