[chuck-users] Electronic ChucK

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 15:47:39 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM, <inventor-66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> The computer interface I am planning is an analog one.  It will receive
> stereo audio from the headphones jack and send stereo audio to the line-in
> Jack.  This way we can generate whatever signals we want from ChucK and pipe
> them into EChucK on adc.left and adc.right.  We can also receive two
> separate audio signals on dac.left and dac.right.

Sounds like an idea. I was thinking you were talking about the CONTROLLING
interface.

> I was sort of generalizing the stereo input and outputs into a pair of
> do-anything audio outs and do-anything audio ins.  This opens up many
> possibilities for ChucK to control EChuck or provide signals for EChucK.
>  Don't have a filtered noise module in your EChucK module collection?  Just
> write a ChucK program and you've got it.  Want an analog multiplier but
> don't have a multiplier module?  send the two signals to line-in, have ChucK
> multiply them, and receive your result on headphones out.
>
> That's the idea.  The computer interface module will be just a quad opamp
> circuit with perhaps variable gain/attenuation and diode clamping for the
> line-in signals to protect your computer.  It should be quite low in cost,
> just $5 or so in parts + profit margin for the seller.  Other computer
> interfaces such as USB, parallel port, etc. are planned but I'm doing the
> simplest, easiest modules first to get a working prototype built and
> tested/working.  Cheers!

Are all these modules going to strictly Analog? Is there going to be some
spec for a digital control interface? This is the part that I was thinking
you were talking about.

Mike

> Les
> (Inventor)

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician