[chuck-users] SoundFonts in ChucK

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 22:10:28 EDT 2008

Tom Lieber

The biggest problem with this is that it means the shred which does
> the load gets lost in time. It is out of sync because the load time
> couldn't be predicted, so you have to do extra stuff to resync it. It
> seems better to stay deterministic and just encourage preloading.

I agree that this event would come at a time that wouldn't be deterministic
from ChucK's perspective but I'd prefer to have a shred that resumes running
as soon as it's useful again over a shred that sends deterministically timed
instructions to a soundfont that isn't yet loaded. I imagine we'd only use
such a event in the case of instructions that wouldn't make sense to send
before having finished loading.

As I understand the situation there would be no need for extra stuff in many
cases, we'd just place the sync instructions (of whatever nature) after we
made sure the font was loaded instead of before. The exception would be
shreds that get their start timing implicidly defined by the moment they are
sporked or added. in that case; yes, some extra syncing would be needed but
isn't this a case of ease of syncing v.s. ease in preventing audio glitches
or missed notes?

I do believe I have at least once seen the situation where reading a few
large files into SndBuf's and starting to use them immediately after that
seemed to cause issues (to the tune of needing a complete computer reboot).
I'm not yet sure about this but if that's true then such things too could
perhaps be prevented by having the shred wait until the SndBuf has finished
but that function doesn't take HD or memory speed into account and hence
there is no way of expressing "as fast as possible but no faster" which I
would like to be able to express.

I hope that made sense, I'm mainly interested in the link between ChucK's
timing and the computer's capabilities here; I'd like to try your work out
but my soundcard doesn't support soundfonts.