[chuck-users] now v.s. actual time

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 19:21:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen;
>
>> ChucK could probably use the equivalent of Pd's "realtime" object.  I
>> suggest calling it "nowreally"!
>
> realness does seem to depend on the perspective....

>> can't really parse the first sentence in this paragraph though. :-)
>
> In my defence;  we are dealing with several types of "now" and at least a
> few types of "time". It's my fault but famous philosophers demonstrated that
> talking about languages is hard in ways that need not be solvable without
> inventing another language.

Sure, but this is a common thing to deal with in audio languages.  Pd
calls it "logical time" and "real time", which I think is the correct
terminology.

So as for the code I posted in the forum, with a way of determining
'real' now I could have done,

// one million sqrts
0 => float answer;
for (1=>int i; i<=1000000; i++) {
  answer+sqrt(i) => answer;
  if ((realnow - now) > 3::ms) 3::ms => now;
}

Btw, is this actually what you were asking or am I way off?

Steve