[chuck-users] Reconnecting Ugens (was; determining type)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 10:38:29 EDT 2008

2008/9/7 Tiemen Meerman <tiemen.meerman at phorm.com>

>  Kassen,
>
> (Long time no speak, btw!)

You'll have to excuse me; tried my memory, then searched my Gmail archives
and either I have to admit to not recalling you or perhaps you changed your
mail address since we talked? Are you Dutch as well or is your name simply
very Dutch-like? Please help; I'm good at remembering people, it's just that
I suck at faces and names :¬)

> Fully agree! Introspection of this kind is a must in my opinion! The
> possibilities would be endless and I don't see why the scope should be
> limited - access to the entire graph from anywhere should be possible and
> makes for a much simpler implementation.

Yes, I think so. Clearly all UGens "know" what connects to them at their
input as they have to poll all of those when generating a sample. I'm not
sure knoweldge of where those samples are going is available to those UGens
right now. As far as I can see this strategy would at least be possilbe and
I think it would be very usefull. I wonder how Ge feels.

> I am uncertain whether the instanceof operator/function was ever
> implemented, but that would be equally essential.
>
> While wish-listing (and slightly related) a cool feature would be a way of
> tagging UGens with a arbitrary string. This would give us a way of providing
> a unique AND meaningful identifier to a UGen. Useful while traversing
> complicated graphs.

I think that and similar things would become quite easy once we could extend
UGen's and/or overload the ChucK operator. Right now we can extend UGens,
it's just that they won't actually work as such. This is fine;

class Foo extends Gain { string tags[10]; }

You just can't connect to it....

> I like the ChucK operator, too, but wish it was overloadable by the user -
> this would allow us a hook to do a lot of things! (I will not even try to
> list them ;)

Yeah, agreed.

> Have been away from my computer for too long, and wish ChucK ran on
> BlackBerries!

That would be nice! I wish I had a 1 TeraHz CPU, oh and world peace, I wish
I would have the dicipline to vaccum-clean my room instead of fantasising on
the ChucK-list as well.

Cheers,