[chuck-users] UGen v.s. code in timing; very tricky

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 05:37:59 EDT 2008

Ah, the digital world - never enough bits!  My first reaction was to think
that this extra sample was a floating point truncation error in the
s.phase() and s.period() math, but then I came to think hmm...  would those
minuscule fractions of samples make any difference to a zero crossing
timing?  Furthermore, why would a truncation error be weighted?  Your
declaration that "the value is on -average- lower in magnitude" started me
thinking 'okay, how average?'  So I wrote up a little script:

TriOsc s => dac;

float one;
float two;
float three;
int count;
int count2;
int count3;
int signcount;
int signcount2;

for (int j;j<10000; j++)
{
        Std.rand2f(10, 10000)=>s.freq;
        10::ms=>now; // arbitrary offset of time
        (1-s.phase())::s.period() => now;  // a la Kassen
        s.last()=>one;
        samp=>now;
        s.last()=>two;
        samp=>now;
        s.last()=>three;
        if (Std.fabs(one) < Std.fabs(two) && Std.fabs(one) <
Std.fabs(three)) count++;
        if (Std.fabs(one) > Std.fabs(two) && Std.fabs(three) >
Std.fabs(two)) count2++;
        if (Std.fabs(two) > Std.fabs(three) && Std.fabs(one) >
Std.fabs(three)) count3++;
        if ((one <0 && two > 0) || (one >0 && two <0)) signcount++;
        if ((two <0 && three > 0) || (two >0 && three <0)) signcount2++;
}
<<<count/100.0>>>;
<<<count2/100.0>>>;
<<<count3/100.0>>>;
<<<signcount/100.0>>>;
<<<signcount2/100.0>>>;

In the end, I ran it with a few different offset values and a variety of
differing frequency ranges (though I've yet to really test the sub-audio
range - maybe overnight) and this is the general output I would keep seeing:
13.060000 :(float)
74.370000 :(float)
12.570000 :(float)
49.140000 :(float)
50.860000 :(float)
I'll admit, at first I didn't have the zero crossing checks in, so I was
understanding very little, but once I realized that the zero crossings were
equally distributed between the two possible locations, things clicked.
Obviously the extra sample would "on average" (about 75% of the time) result
in a lower s.last() value, because it's the sample around which the zero
crossing would pivot.  If the zero crossing didn't pivot, then you'd see an
even distribution of probability for the lowest value.

Your initial calculation is advancing time to the end of the period (or so
it tries).  I think there is a truncation error that is hidden in the math
(that would explain why the zero crossing is jumping back and forth between
the two locations, with an even distribution), and therefore only half the
time you've advanced fully to the end of the period (the other half of the
time you're off by one sample).  The calculation is not finding the sample
closest to the zero crossing - which might be a more precise, yet more
laborious approach with little real world improvement.

I'd unchuck items with the inclusion of a while loop:
while (s.gain()>0.000000001)
{
        s.gain()/1.005 => s.gain();
        samp=>now;
}
s =< dac;

Though who knows how long that can take.
-Eric Hedekar