[chuck-users] performing with laptops

Jay Klein jay at autonoetic.com
Tue Apr 14 14:24:42 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I'm getting ready to start playing shows with a band that will mix live
instrumentation with material from a laptop (primarily using Live, and ChucK
at some point I hope).  I've never done this before and I'm not sure of the
best way to connect a laptop to a typical rock club's mixer/PA.  I've found
a small number of answers on the web that range from a simple cable between
the laptop's headphone jack and RCA inputs on the mixer, to a firewire audio
interface and a stereo DI box.  Audio quality and hum from AC power are
mentioned as reasons to go with more advanced solutions.  I don't want to
spend money and carry around these devices unnecessarily, but I'd also hate
to be unprepared or inflict bad sound on the audience.  There must be a lot
of experience with this on this list, so what do you think?

Apologies for the arguably off-topic post, but I wasn't sure where else to
turn.  I'll try to redeem myself with something more directly ChucK-related
in the future.
Thanks,
-Jay