[chuck-users] Keyboard Stuff

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Fri Apr 17 13:21:27 EDT 2009

On 17 Apr 2009, at 18:21, Les Hall wrote:

> Yes, you can do it simpler than that.  I don't know for sure but I
> think the degeneration problem is because you are ChucKing up
> patches dynamically but never unChucKing them.  So they build on top
> of one another and corrupt.  Not sure but that's my guess.

Yes, that is most surely the reason. The tricky part is know exactly
how advanced ChucK is, knowing what has to be done by hand. It would
have been cool if one just fed those patches into the output, and the
program figured it out.

> This may not be quite your answer, but i did implement a monome-like
> keyboard interface in my Digitar program.  It does a crude attempt
> at Karplus-Strong string synthesis, which amazingly sounds like a
> real guitar.  When you start the program it is silent, then when you
> press alphanumeric keys that puts logic table entries into the
> boolean sequencer that plays the guitar.  Press F1 thru F4 to page
> the monome-like keyboard interface among the four vertical positions
> in the logic table, and press other function keys followed by the
> +/- keys to adjust stuff like distortion, reverb, etc.  Oh, and
> watch the console monitor for the user interface.  Enjoy!

Those instructions should perhaps be in the file. (And note that the
location of the +/- keys are different on other keyboards than the US.
So you want them on the +/- keys in all layouts, one should probably
use the ASCII key function.)

Though I intended to add more features later, and your input is
welcome, I do not see how that problem with patch-buildup.

  Hans