[chuck-users] Keyboard Stuff

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:11:11 EDT 2009

Hans;

I think both may happen (by my testing): the CPU load may increase to the
> point that it is the delays that causes the crash, but also before.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

Yes, or having fewer generators, and letting the keys circulate assignment
> around them, which may have the same effect (which, when I read ahead, see
> that you are mentioning, too.

Yes, that would come down to voice cycling as well. There are a lot of
possible strategies for that, depending on taste and how complex you are
willing to get as well as how sensitive you are to inappropriate
voice-stealing.

In the case of MIDI, it may be necessary, due to a limited number of
> channels. Scala uses complex algorithms for that.

I don't think either MIDI or Scala affects this matter all that much; as I
see it the core of the issue is that CPU resources are limited so we need to
conserve them. MIDI could still generate 128 * 16 concurrent notes if you
really wanted to and such amounts of voices will cause issues in any
realistic and practical system.

I may be misunderstanding your comment here.