[chuck-users] Keyboard Stuff

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Fri Apr 17 14:28:36 EDT 2009

On 17 Apr 2009, at 20:11, Kassen wrote:

>> Yes, or having fewer generators, and letting the keys circulate
>> assignment around them, which may have the same effect (which, when
>> I read ahead, see that you are mentioning, too.
>
> Yes, that would come down to voice cycling as well. There are a lot
> of possible strategies for that, depending on taste and how complex
> you are willing to get as well as how sensitive you are to
> inappropriate  voice-stealing.

Voice-stealing sounds awful, but want now mainly tio focus on pitches
and keyboard layouts.

> In the case of MIDI, it may be necessary, due to a limited number of
> channels. Scala uses complex algorithms for that.
>
> I don't think either MIDI or Scala affects this matter all that
> much; as I see it the core of the issue is that CPU resources are
> limited so we need to conserve them. MIDI could still generate 128 *
> 16 concurrent notes if you really wanted to and such amounts of
> voices will cause issues in any realistic and practical system.
>
> I may be misunderstanding your comment here.

The methods are similar, but the cause different: Scala needs a lot of
MIDI channels for the microtonality (and by default uses all but one).
So when playing on the layout I gave, one uses several different
channels (or so is my impression).

   Hans