[chuck-users] Colossal Error

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:27:37 EDT 2009

Yes!  I finally made ChucK barf this up:

mcchuck(23354,0x1825a00) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not
malloced: 0x603e7c; This could be a double free(), or free() called
with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment
variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
[chuck](VM): internal sanity check failed in shredule()
[chuck](VM): (shred shreduled while shreduled)
mcchuck(23354,0x1825a00) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not
malloced: 0x603e7c; This could be a double free(), or free() called
with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment
variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
[chuck](VM): internal sanity check failed in shredule()
[chuck](VM): (shred shreduled while shreduled)
mcchuck(23354,0x1825a00) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not
malloced: 0x603e7c; This could be a double free(), or free() called
with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment
variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
[chuck](VM): internal sanity check failed in shredule()
[chuck](VM): (shred shreduled while shreduled)
Killed

I had to kill the process in the end, which was spinning in an
infinite loop of some sort.  I have to admit, the code I'm running
ALWAYS crashes, however, often just with the regular Mac OS X 10.4
catch-all, "bus error".

Full disclosure, this is a custom build of chuck with one minor
modification: the Object.typeOf() stub is filled out with code from
the Object.toString() method slightly modified to just return the
string version of the class of the object so that I can determine the
type of objects in code.  But I never use that in the code I'm running
right now.  The bus error is totally repeatable in regular ChucK
1.2.1.2, but it's going to be a while before I get as spectacular a
display as this.  ;-)

Of course, then I turn up the output of the VM to --verbose10, it
won't crash properly, however, it does skip occasionally and tell me:
[chuck]:(9:FINEST): (via rtaudio): OS-X audio output overrun detected!

Perhaps increasing the buffer size on the audio system would help?

I'll see if I can't get a trace of it crashing again.

Cheers,
Mike

--
http://michaelclemow.com