[chuck-users] Killing thread from without

eduard aylon eduard.aylon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 04:46:19 EDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Hans Aberg wrote:

> Is it possible to kill a thread by saving a reference and calling
> exit() (or something) on that reference? Are there any means by
> which a created thread can be manipulated from without it by its
> reference?
>
> On a keyboard, I want a generator to be disconnected first some time
> after a key has been released - otherwise the sound will be
> truncated. How long depends on the generator, so I want to be able
> to set it arbitrarily. Then the problem is when the key is depressed
> again before this waiting time for disconnect has elapsed. One way
> to fix it is to let the thread check if the key has been depressed
> again, say by looking at the key down times, and if so, just skip
> the disconnect.

If I understand this correctly, I would use an envelope for that. So
when the key is pressed the envelope fires up, and when the key is
released, the oscillator will stop at the end of the envelope's
release time.
You may want to have a look at a chuck template for polyphony I wrote
a year ago for a workshop. You'll find it at http://www.lullcec.org/chuck/template_polyphony.ck
. At that time it was working, not sure now. Be aware that envelope's
release time is set quite long (1::second).

hope it helps,

eduard