[chuck-users] polyphony (what happens after note off)? was: Killing thread from without

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Sun Apr 26 17:17:30 EDT 2009

On 26 Apr 2009, at 22:30, Kassen wrote:

>> Thank you.
>
> Your're welcome. i hope this solves some of the issues you've been
> having.

I will have a look at it later. I was planning to take it easy -
that's why I din't post a new version.

>> I have been focusing on implementing octave shifts,
>> transpositions, and different tuning systems, but I add a copy here
>> of what
>> I currently have. The playing area has been extended with a few
>> keys, and
>> some bug fixing.
>
> Sound good!

You might try to play something you know well in E12, meantone (MM),
and Pythagorean (P) and see if you hear the difference.

>> I use a fairly common, more compact C/C++ style.
>
> Yes, I know you style is more common, I find I benefit from taking
> more space for added (subjective) clarity so I find that way more
> clear. I wanted to stick to your style but I got mixed up in some
> nesting so I edited it a bit (ok... a lot). No critique was implied;
> it was just me being lazy.

OK. Of course, you are free to write in your own style :-).

>> I also avoid using tabs, instead using two spaces, which are
>> expressive
>> enough. Unix tabs are traditionally set at 8 spaces, which is too
>> much, and
>> there seems to be no good way to avoid it set at that in various
>> circumstances.
>
> Yes, I understand. I like tabs as they save on the keystrokes though I
> do set my editors to use 4 spaces per tab for display. Sometimes I use
> two spaces when writing directly in emails or forum posts as web
> browsers like to use the tab for different purposes but this was a bit
> too much editing and I wanted to make sure it ran.

It is simplest to use an editor that replaces tabs with spaces. I used
tab on 4 spaces for some years, until I finally felt 2 was expressive
enough. One can sometimes get a lot of indentations, especially in
some languages.

>> I haven't had any problems with CPU overload in the code in the
>> attached
>> code. I have tried it for extended periods of time.
>
> You'll probably be able to turn the number of voices up a bit; 5 is
> really quite modest.

I do not have any limit in the code I posted. One can typically only
have five or so simultaneous keys on my keyboard due to limitation of
key roll over, fingers, and so on. With an extra keyboard, one gets up
to ten voices or so. With the BeeThree, decay can be set as short as
11 ms, though I use the more ample 16 ms. This is about the time of
the shortest perceptible time bends (which is shorter than the MIDI
time resolution, and possibly a reason why MIDI timing may not good
enough).

   Hans