[chuck-users] other ways to live-code with time

Mark Cerqueira mcerquei at princeton.edu
Wed Apr 29 13:22:13 EDT 2009

I've spent this semester doing some independent work with Perry and Dan
on how to get good network synchronization for PLOrk so that we don't
need a conductor and can focus on doing other things. I implemented a
Time-Tagged OSC protocol similar to the stuff Adrian Freed does.
Essentially the protocol first synchronizes everyone's clock via a
protocol that is based on the Network Time Protocol (NTP). On the PLOrk
network, one machine runs as a NTP Server and all others run as NTP
Clients - NTP Clients calculate the offset of their VM time to the
server VM time, as well as keeping track of the round-trip time of
packets sent to synchronize to account for that in the offset.

Once the clocks are synchronized, packets sent over the network include
the current time (which should be synchronized pretty closely if the
above protocol works) and a time-to-execute offset. When someone
receives the packet they add the current time plus the time-to-execute
offset and schedule the packet to be opened only at that time. The
NTP-like synchronization protocol I described above also keeps track of
all RTTs and broadcasts to everyone what a good time-to-execute field is
(i.e. make sure we give enough time for the packet to travel over the
network). If all works well, everyone should open the packet at the same
time.

Not sure how successful this implementation will be...I'm testing it
tomorrow during PLOrk rehearsal! If anyone's interested in seeing the
code/my write-up I can pass around a copy once I *crosses fingers*
complete it and hand it in on Monday.

Best,
Mark