[chuck-users] other ways to live-code with time

Daniel Trueman dtrueman at Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 29 15:36:19 EDT 2009

>> i've come to view this as a feature, not a bug... ;--}
>>

> I certainly feel that PLOrk's "conductor" approach is a very
> interesting idea that does expose a lot of the things we often assume
> to be given for what they are.
>
> Still; it doesn't need to be a either/or thing.

oh, i know this, and we do both. until this year we had excellent
success synchronizing the ensemble over the network; i've written
about this elsewhere. this year we've been exploring other ways of
doing it that i find quite interesting, but we've also had some more
difficulties with the network sync, in part (i think) because we've
gotten larger; synchronizing 30 laptops seems to be harder than 15.

but even clock/timestamp syncing is not quite the same as the syncing
we've done in the past, where a single server machine can say to all
the other machines, do THIS, NOW. we've been able to do this in the
past with 15 machines, and hopefully we'll be able to figure out a way
to do it well (wirelessly) with >15. so, while i'm looking forward to
having a good timestamp system of some sort, it will be one of several
ways we go about "syncing."

dt