[chuck-users] other ways to live-code with time

Daniel Trueman dtrueman at Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 29 20:12:25 EDT 2009

>> until this year we had excellent success
>> synchronizing the ensemble over the network; i've written about this
>> elsewhere.
>
> You wrote about dealing with a wireless network for musical sync? Do
> you have a link for that?

it's not a technical paper, but a paper about the musical effects of
the syncing, which at the time was quite amazing.

http://music.princeton.edu/~dan/plork/papers/WhyALaptopOrchestra.pdf

this was all done with OSC/UDP and a Airport, with 15 laptopists.

> I think SLUB simply
> switched to using cables but then they are just 3 guys. It's probably
> more convenient to use cables when you have three friends than when
> you have a group of 30 students.

exactly. i've used wires with quartets. i won't with plork.

>> this year we've been exploring other ways of doing it that i find
>> quite interesting, but we've also had some more difficulties with the
>> network sync, in part (i think) because we've gotten larger;
>> synchronizing
>> 30 laptops seems to be harder than 15.
>
> This makes perfect sense. I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple
> occasionally tweaked their implementation and likely they are more
> concerned with things like throughput for things like streamed video
> than with syncing up 30 performers. There are quite a few variables.

yep! mark ran some tests and found that at least wiring the server to
the airport would noticeably improve performance, as well as turning
on Network Interference Robustness, or whatever it's called. at the
moment the network seems to be working well, but the difficulties
encouraged us to try other strategies, which has been quite
interesting. for instance, to sync with Matmos, running a specific
BPM, we've had the players simply use their ears (!) to sync. this has
worked quite well, and with a distributed audio system like PLOrk, it
may well be that this kind of sync is *better* than network sync.

dt