[chuck-users] Google Wave ChucK robot

Erik Schoster ejschoster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 17:51:34 EDT 2009

Hi All -

After watching the Google Wave preview video at wave.google.com, I had
an idea for a ChucK-related robot built within the Wave context that I'm
pretty excited about.

Here's the idea:

If you aren't familiar with Wave, it provides all sorts of amazing
collaborative editing functionality.  Additionally, Wave supports
extension building through a few APIs.  There are Java and Python
libraries available.  I'd love to build a robot along with anyone who
would like to help (I'm primarily a PHP developer, so I'd love love love
help from any Java or Python wizards out there!) that would publish
collaboratively developed ChucK scripts to a central server.  Step two -
and this is the really exciting part, I think - would be utilizing the
robot in such a way as to actually run these pieces on the server, and
stream them back to the user in realtime through wave.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I thought I would put the idea out
there and see if anyone else would be interested in helping to develop
it with me.  Think this would be useful?  Are there limitations to ChucK
i'm not aware of that would make this impossible?  Think this is a dumb
idea and you've got a way better one?  Lets discuss!

I applied for an account on Google's wave developer sandbox a moment
ago, but even if we have to wait a couple months until wave goes public,
I think this would be really fun to try to implement.

Thanks!

Erik