[chuck-users] chuck and jack

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 08:23:10 EDT 2009

2009/8/14 Hans Aberg <haberg at math.su.se>

> There seems to be a timing problem with <<< ... >>> in ChucK. So take all
> that away in all time critical positions, and see if the problem goes away.
> And report back here, if it does.

I think the main issue is that printing isn't done by the VM itself and that
printing to the screen is expensive, CPU-wise.

This can have some quite far-reaching effects. I'm not sure it's still like
that but a long time ago I noted that when I'd print something, then
immediately afterwards quit the shred the printed message sometimes wouldn't
show. This could be fixed by advancing a bit of time after the print
command. Of course advancing time may not always be possible in all
conditions without causing timing issues to the overall program.