[chuck-users] chuck and jack

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Fri Aug 14 13:04:20 EDT 2009

On 14 Aug 2009, at 14:23, Kassen wrote:

>> There seems to be a timing problem with <<< ... >>> in ChucK. So
>> take all that away in all time critical positions, and see if the
>> problem goes away. And report back here, if it does.
>
> I think the main issue is that printing isn't done by the VM itself
> and that printing to the screen is expensive, CPU-wise.

If I search the Chuck sources, I find
   chuck_dl.cpp: #define DEBUG_PRINT(format) fprintf(stderr,
(format));fflush(stderr)

This fflush may be quite time consuming, at least relative Chuck
sample time. Typically, the compiler implements a buffer, which is
flushed onto stdout whenever fflush is called.

   Hans