[chuck-users] analysis examples

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 02:53:09 EDT 2009

Dear Ge & Rebecca,

The previous version of ChucK had a /examples/analysis/tracking directory
with a great example called "tracking.ck" in it. In the latest download
that's gone. It's not so clear to me why that example should be gone because
that happened to be the one that makes it clear how the numbers in the array
that FFT yields relate to frequencies in the most clear way. On top of that
it's fun and practical.

As interesting as the examples with the current release might be they don't
really make it clear what they are trying to accomplish and how. They run...
they computate some numbers and print them but it's not explained what those
numbers represent or why we would be interested in them.

Because of a recent question on the forum about pitch tracking/detection I
dug up the old example to post as a explanation and had to wonder about the
how and why of the current range of examples. Much of it is quite baffeling
to me; I'd be hard pressed to explain what goes on in the fft examples and
the feedback they use. The code of the tracking one may be far longer and
more involved but it's purpose is clear, it invites "poking around" and so I
think it makes for a practically educational example to include.