[chuck-users] NYC-Based ChucKists: "Cloud Seeding" Sept. 1st @ The Stone, 8pm

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 15:48:58 EDT 2009

Hello,

If any of you are in or will be in the New York City area this coming
Tuesday, I'm playing an hour-long set at a place called The Stone that
will be all about Granular Synthesis / Resynthesis in a performance
setting.  If you'll be in the area, it will be a cool show to
see--everything is written in ChucK.  I'm planning on doing a
quasi-participatory didactic thing with the audience to teach them
about granular synthesis as I demonstrate the instruments I've built,
so it's a little non-traditional as far as concert flow.

Even if you won't be in the area, you might want to take a look
through my (spaghetti) code.  As Kassen can tell you, my attempts at
doing granular synthesis in ChucK border on obsession and have spent a
long time trying to squeeze out as much performance while keeping it
as easy to program as possible.  For this show, I've built instruments
that take their spectral profiles from small audio files that I've run
through the Spear program for analysis
(http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/).  Spear does "Sinusoidal Partial
Editing Analysis and Resynthesis" and does a really good job at FFT
analysis with transient sharpening and all kinds of other goodies.
Spear outputs its information as a text file and I'm using the file IO
routines that are currently only in the bleeding-edge CVS version of
ChucK to parse these files into reasonably useful datasets.  Then I'm
using standard HID stuff and a modified gamepad for interaction.  It's
far from perfect, but it's a playable prototype.  I'll have this stuff
organized and posted on my website and github by the show date
(hopefully).  I'd really love to get some feedback on the code for the
future.  Plus, if anyone is interested in getting a head start parsing
Spear files with ChucK, this might be helpful.

There's a possibility that I'll document the show, so there might also
be video at some point.

-Mike

"Cloud Seeding"
Performing Granular Synthesis