[chuck-users] initialization of static variables

Robert Poor rdpoor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:20:23 EST 2009

Hans:

Thanks for the note -- you are correct that we discussed the fact that
static objects may not be initialized until the class is instantiated.

You CAN "throw some data into the class for use with static
functions," and have that data initialized exactly once before an
instance is created.  The distinction is simply whether you place your
top-level initializer inside or outside of the class definition.  So
this form:
=====
	public class Nutz {
	  static Object @ CONST;
	}
	new Object @=> Nutz.CONST;
=====
...initializes Nutz.CONST exactly once -- even BEFORE an instance of
Nutz is created.  But this form:
=====
	public class Soup {
	  static Object @ CONST;
           new Object @=> Soup.CONST;
	}
=====
...does NOT initialize Soup.CONST until an instance of Soup is
created, and worse, it sets Soup.CONST to a new value every time a new
instance is created.

As I said, this is not a profound revelation, but it was the source of
a devilish bug in my code and I thought I could spare someone the
headache by pointing it out.  That's all.

- Rob