[chuck-users] Mixed Object Lists and Hierarchy

Stefan Blixt stefan.blixt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 14:01:52 EST 2009

You can look at casting as something you use to help the compiler when
assigning values to variables that aren't obviously fit to contain them
(like an int for a float variable of a Foo for a Bar variable) - that's
what's common with copying floats and object references. For learning more
about it you can look it up in a Java or C manual, though they'll contain a
bit more than what's needed in ChucK (which doesn't have a lot of primitive
types for starters). I'm a Java fan, so I'd go here:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/conversions.html#5.5

/Stefan

2009/12/12 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>

> 2009/12/12 mike clemow <gelfmuse at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> 2009/12/12 Stefan Blixt <stefan.blixt at gmail.com>:
>> > Hmm, you shouldn't have to cast from a subclass to its superclass,
>> should
>> > you?
>>
>> Well, this is my feeling as well.  A foo is-a spam.  The object
>> reference should work fine this way...
>>

> I agree. Back when I was starting out when classes and so on I did feel
> that this functionality was actually implied by the docs. I wonder whether
> that was intentional and that's actually meant to be how it should
> eventually work. This is one area where I do feel that the current docs need
> work. For one thing the "$" operator is only documented in how it casts from
> float to int, which is in and of itself a exception in that it loses
> information, unlike other forms of casting that need not lose information.
>
> Kas.

Release me, insect, or I will destroy the Cosmos!