[chuck-users] Integer divisions

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Tue Dec 15 09:58:24 EST 2009

On 15 Dec 2009, at 14:07, Robert Poor wrote:

> You've forced my hand.  Would you be interested in a rational number
> package (y'know, where numbers are represented as a fraction)?  I
> wrote one "by accident" when I thought that roundoff was causing a
> problem.  It wasn't, but I have a cleanly written and tested
> Rational class if anyone could use it.
>
> Comes with a test suite.  Has a stable float-to-rational conversion
> algorithm where you get to specify the maximum denominator.  It even
> has a to_string() routine.
>
> If someone tells me where to put the code, I'm happy to send it.

I do not have need for such a class right now, as I just play the
intervals, and therefore floats are just fine.

Though I have written Haskell code for computing continued fraction
convergents, which is very useful for analyzing data, which I use in
Hugs. So rational numbers are useful - I just don't use them in ChucK,
right now.

But you bring up a question of where to put the stuff. Putting it up
on this list is just convenient for snippets really.

Check out <http://haskell.org/>. It is a wiki, I think. One can search
a lot of code there. Perhaps there should be something for ChucK.

   Hans