[chuck-users] Issue/bug tracker system?

Tomasz Kaye's brain tomasz.brain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 05:29:28 EST 2009

@Spencer and Hans re. Google Code: If the repository was ported too, a move
like that may avoid an increase in the complexity of the ChucKs web
presence, while gaining a issue tracker and an open wiki again. That sounds
good to me.

I guess that the main costs of Google code then are:
1. Dependency on Google (people may be reluctant to trust or support Google)
2. The move to a different SCM system (although my impression is that SVN is
very widespread too, and perhaps more likely than CVS to be adopted by new
developers).

While the option of a move to a different SCM system is being considered,
it's worth taking a look at github and launchpad too (which both avoid the
scary google issue).

Github http:www.github.com
Michael's Lick project on github is a relevant example:
http://github.com/heuermh/lick
Github project hosting is free for open source stuff. It includes a wiki,
and issue tracker and a neat facility to view branch hierarchy. The main
disadvantage i think is that this would involve transitioning to git, which
I'm guessing most ChucK devs are not already using (?).

Launchpad https://launchpad.net/
Launchpad is a very similar deal to github, except it uses the Bazaar SCM
instead of git. Also free for open source projects. Has an issue tracker,
but no wiki as far as I can see. Bazaar seems to be designed with ease of
use in mind, less powerful than git--but by no means feature poor, and more
friendly. Bazaar is the most obscure of the three SCMs mentioned here I
think, which also has a cost.