[chuck-users] emulating UGen connections in own classes

Rogan Carr rogan.carr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 18:05:12 EST 2009

Hi Atta,

A bunch of us use "GenU" style chuck classes for this.  I think it
started with Frostburn on the board.  Basically, you make a class that
looks like this:

public class GenU
{

    Gain output;
    Gain input;

    fun UGen chuck () {
        return output;
    }

    fun UGen chuck (UGen ugen) {
        ugen => input;
        return output;

Then you use it like this

GenU None;

None.chuck() => dac;

You can even do (note the lack of parens)

Step step => None.chuck => dac;

Now, just have your classes inherit from GenU, and connect them like this.

This is a sorta hacky workaround; there isn't, as far as I know, a way
to do just None => dac.

Cheers,
Rogan