[chuck-users] How can a non-programmer start to make use of Chuck?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 15:05:06 EST 2009

Hi all,
   I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to try out a tool like Chuck.

   I'm on an AMD64 Gentoo platform it seems that Chuck is my best bet.
I've started scanning the chuck-users list to get familiar with what
sort of discussions happen here - and they are interesting - but as I
am more of musician than a programmer I'm wondering how I might
attempt to get to know Chuck better? To start exploring I've built
Chuck-1.2.1.2 from portage and am building miniaudicle now. Neither
has yet made a sound.

   I *think* (but am not sure) that I'd like my first exploration to
be in the area of using Chuck to create rythmic patterns of sort of a
break-beat nature using noise generators and filters as the sound
source. This is not something I'm set up to do with any of my other
tools in Linux or Windows so if I was successful it would add another
tool to my tool box.

   I'm wondering whether more experienced folks:

1) Think this is a reasonable goal?

and

2) Might have suggestions about how I'd get started?

   Thanks in advance for any comments and ideas.

Cheers,
Mark