[chuck-users] ChubbY (ChucK in Ruby)?

Tom Lieber lieber at princeton.edu
Tue Feb 10 17:50:19 EST 2009

2009/2/10 Robert Poor <rdpoor at gmail.com>:
> Has anyone considered of implementing all the wonderful functionality of
> ChucK in Ruby?  I'm not trying to start a fight or ruffle feathers -- it's
> an honest question.
>
> I love ChucK for all of its functionality -- it has a full house of great
> unit generators and signal processing objects coupled with an easy-to-use
> thread / scheduling mechanism.  But for all that, I find ChucK the language
> lacking.  For example, when I really push on defining classes, I can't do
> all the things I'm used to.
>
> Might not a marriage of ChucK's rich functionality with Ruby's rich language
> be nearly ideal?
>
> At the very least, we'd get Mr. Bowkett to -- in Yoda's words -- TFSU.

Do you mind sacrificing real-time? I ported a portion of ChucK to pure
Ruby, calling it ruck:

  http://github.com/AllTom/ruck/tree/master

It has a tiny number of unit generators and it's too slow for
real-time audio output, but it does have the WavOut UGen so that you
can still hear what you make afterward. You can (I guess obviously)
create your own unit generators with this library.

I lost interest when I found out how hard moving bits into C would
have been, although somehow I'd forgotten about rubyinline until just
now.

---

lian messaged me after a while of not touching ruck to say that he had
created a library for controlling ChucK instances from Ruby:

  http://github.com/lian/chuckr/tree/master

It looks pretty useful for high-level control of your instances from
Ruby. Back then it required modding ChucK to send all output to
stdout, but maybe it doesn't any more.

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/