[chuck-users] ChubbY (ChucK in Ruby)?

Brad Garton garton at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 12 00:23:31 EST 2009

One more thing about all this -- I really wish that music-synth
languages would evolve in a fashion that they could be built as
loadable or linkable libs instead of constantly thinking they need to
stand alone in the world.  We've worked toward this in the design of
RTcmix (to the point where you can basically instantiate an RTcmix
object and various methods then run the features of the language), but
there are still some global var issues (chuck is similar in this
respect).  Wouldn't it be snazzy to be able to add chuck to any
application/environment you want to compile by writing a few 'wrapper'
functions to run the VM, parse scripts, etc.?  And then just add a
chuck.dylib or chuck.so to the linking?  Building chuck into ruby or
pd or lisp or lua or whatever would be so easy!

And for the record, I really dislike the OSC model for gluing apps
together.

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad