[chuck-users] Introducing the KNoW Wave Generator

Les Hall inventor-66 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 21:37:11 EST 2009

Sounds very interesting, especially the beginning. After a while my own
pattern recognition kicks in and it becomes a bit predictable.

I wonder if you could use your boolean walker to generate more dynamics
in the storyline, to make it more expressive, or to have more
distinction between rhythmic parts and freeform.
I must say I never heard of No Wave before, so perhaps this makes no
sense in this genre.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Yes, its all in how you code the logic matrix of the boolean sequencer.
  What I'm doing is drawing a diagonal line in the matrix with a
decreasing probability of ones as you move away from the line.  It
looks like this:

   0  0  0  0  1  1  1  1  0  1  0  1
   1  1  1  1  1  1  1  0  0  1  1  1
   1  1  0  1  0  0  1  1  0  1  1  0
   1  0  0  0  1  0  1  1  1  1  0  1
   1  0  1  0  1  1  1  1  0  1  1  0
   0  0  0  1  0  1  1  1  0  1  0  0
   0  0  1  1  1  1  0  0  0  1  0  0
   1  1  1  0  1  0  1  0  0  1  0  0
   0  1  0  1  1  0  0  1  0  0  1  1
   0  1  1  1  1  0  0  1  1  0  0  0
   1  1  1  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  1  0
   1  1  0  0  1  1  1  1  0  0  1  0

If you stare at that matrix a little while you'll see the diagonal line
from lower left to upper right of greater ones density, plus plenty of
random bits strewn about.  I suppose that much randomness is what makes
it seem predictable.  It's predictably unpredictable.

But I can write code that makes other kinds of boolean sequencer logic
matrices.  In the past, in my soft synthesizer that has one of these as
an array of MAUI buttons, I have had good results drawing circles,
lines, and triangles.  I was able to make some good rock guitar riffs
that way.

Actually the randomness is intentional for No Wave, which is supposed
to be composed of a mix of wandering notes and hard driving rhythms.
But for something else you wouldn't want so many bits strewn about in
the logic matrix.

So yes, coding the matrix in different ways will give completely
different results.

Les
(Inventor)