[chuck-users] Problem with reverb and multi-voices

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jan 5 05:55:17 EST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 2:36 AM, Tom Lieber wrote:

> 2009/1/4 Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com>:
>> I don't have a computer with a
>> SMS (that would have to be a Mac in this context, I think) at hand.
>> I'm not sure, BTW, why the SMS is polled in this way and not using
>> "hi =>
>> now;", is there something speciffic about the SMS that is different
>> from
>> other HID devices that makes this preferable or is there some other
>> reason
>> to go for this method?
>
> I think it's just to get the particular sound you get when a new voice
> is fired at regular intervals... I don't know what kind of noise he's
> recording, but when I tried it sounded kind of nifty. 'Cause his code
> differs from the example script he seems to have copied.

Technically its because the SMS interface on Mac laptops is polled,
rather than interrupt-driven -- the Hid object in the case of the SMS
won't actually fire any events.  Also, polling it is relatively time-
consuming.  So rather than ChucK enforcing a specific poll rate, you
can choose your own according to how expensive it actually is on your
platform, how much CPU/sample you have to spare, etc.

spencer