[chuck-users] best way to read from HID device

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 06:47:40 EST 2009

Steve;
> I don't know if anyone else has the same device as you, if it's DIY
> you might try some generic HID program on Linux to at least make sure
> it reads as a normal joystick.

That device is a commercial one, I looked at it (online) some time back.
It's a bit of a shame that products like that don't document in what way
they implement the standard. I've been eyeing several products, mostly
integrated DJ solutions with jog-dials, and they tend to advertise that they
come with software and that everything will work magically when you plug it
in. I'm sure this brings a lot of joy to many people but it doesn't help us
much in figuring out whether it will work with ChucK which only supports
keyboard, mouse and joysticks.

It would be nice to have a more general implementation for devices like this
and tablets, etc but I'm not sure how hard that would be. I don't think
ChucK reads USB/HID directly, I think it instead depends on the OS to
negotiate with the device about it's nature and functionality but I'm not
100% sure of that, we'll have to ask resident "hid-man" Spencer. This may
also depend on the OS; I gather the various OS's deal with this standard in
rather different ways, it's really quite convenient how all of that is
abstracted away for ChucKist use (except of course when we want something
unusual). If it's not a "normal joystick" then I'm quite sure we won't be
able to read it right now and the reverse holds true as well; I tried quite
a few devices and I've never seen anything that was considered a joystick
yet couldn't be read. I don't think there is anything that prevents this
device from claiming it's a "HID drumpad", to quote from WikiPedia;

Other devices