[chuck-users] Parallel Shreds

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 27 23:18:56 EST 2009

In fact, the VM is single-threaded.  Shreds are multi-tasked
cooperatively, in that only a single shred is running at a time in a
given chuck instance, and that a shred is not interrupted by another
shred until the current shred specifically allows it (by me.yield() or
=> now).  Additionally, audio is only generated when no shreds are
running (e.g. when all shreds are concurrently chucking something =>
now).

I think in 2003 parallel was still generally accepted to mean "running
sequentially within the same approximate slice of time" :D , before
development/marketing of consumer multi-core architectures really
picked up.

spencer