[chuck-users] syncing computers with OSC

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 09:45:05 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some notes;
>
> A remark was made about the importance of timing in dance music. I don't
> think sample accuracy is mandatory there, at least not for sequencing. Even
> a well implemented MIDI clock (Atari,old MPC's) will service there beyond
> what most people need and MIDI is slooooow. Bad MIDI clocks may be a issue
> and require work-arounds. If you can get it down to the MS range for jitter
> and latency you are set, I'dsay.

I think any vinyl-loving DJ will agree with you on that.  You can get
away with tweaking and nudging the speed of a record while it's
playing in order to keep the two beats synchronized, without it being
audible.  Interestingly, if you do this with two copies of the same
record, you can hear an obvious manual flanging (comb filtering)
effect.

On a similar note, for a while circa 2001 I used to 'DJ' music in
Impulse Tracker using two computers.  (Impulse was a music sequencing
program for DOS)  They would drift apart, but I didn't use MIDI
synchronization, just ear tracking and a keyboard shortcut for
adjusting the BPM of the track, to keep them synched.  Good times :)

Steve