[chuck-users] Getting Started with ChucK

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Tue Jul 21 15:06:49 EDT 2009

On 21 Jul 2009, at 20:30, Tom Lieber wrote:

> 2009/7/21 Hans Aberg <haberg at math.su.se>:
>> So it might be better to tweak some existing functional language into
>> accepting Chuck's timing concepts.
>
> Want to help with ruck? :D
>
>  http://github.com/alltom/ruck/tree/master
>
> It all works and has nice sugar like chucking arrays of objects and
> lambda properties, but it's too slow for real-time at reasonable
> sample rates. I haven't sat down to do the porting to C I think it
> needs to perform well, even though I think it shows promise.

I looked at Ruby, and didn't like some aspects of it, though I do not
remember what it was :-).

But there is a problems with the GC. The Wikipedia page did not
specify. Pretty much the only GC that can fulfill the requirements of
exact timing without jumps and concurrency is reference counting.
Experts will ensure that this need not be so, but also admit that it
is hard to achieve in practice.

So I think Chuck, if extended with lambda calculus might try adding it
on top what already exists, and then just use reference counting for GC.

   Hans