[chuck-users] Getting Started with ChucK

Tom Lieber tom at alltom.com
Tue Jul 21 18:06:00 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Hans Aberg<haberg at math.su.se> wrote:
> But there is a problems with the GC. The Wikipedia page did not specify.
> Pretty much the only GC that can fulfill the requirements of exact timing
> without jumps and concurrency is reference counting.

How slow is garbage collection? No ChucK code executes with exact
timing even now. It's on the user to spread out computation to avoid
delays, just as it would be on them to mind their allocations to avoid
GC delays.

Concurrent GC would be nice, but making the VM multi-threaded is not
the only way to synthesize sounds faster.

I'm more interested in bringing ChucK ideas to other languages than
the other way around right now. Other VMs have had a few more eyes and
hands on them, and adding timing rules to them has been easier than
adding language features to ChucK for me. I'm leaving that to the
pros!

--
Tom Lieber
http://AllTom.com/