[chuck-users] Getting Started with ChucK

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 23:38:57 EDT 2009

Tom;

> >> SinOsc b => dac;
> >> { a.last(); } @=> b.freq;
> >
> > Ok, this I can see. My one issue with it is a fairly big one though; this
> > function isn't typed.
>
> What? b.freq needs a float so the expression on the left would need to
> return a float.

Ok, I see. And since we are avoiding a explicit return statement The last
line of the function (where a function has multiple statements) would need
to return a float or compilation would fail, is that right? It does make
sense in that it could work but it doesn't seem especially coherent with how
normal functions work.

> "___ ? ___ : ___" is conditional syntax. It's an if-statement as an
> expression. My lambda is like:

Yes, I get that syntax but that's like having a separate sub-language for
these things.

> The idea is that it's an example of something it's unlikely one would
> bother writing a UGen to do, and is easier to write with lambda syntax
> than today's ChucK.

That is true, probably shorter than going; "class foo extends UGen{....."
connecting it and maybe also giving it a signal to start doing it's thing.
For repetitive tasks it would probably get quite tedious to write but maybe
these could be named and re-used as well.

> Yeah, they're little UGens. That's the idea!

Ok, yes. I could certainly see advantages to that but in general I still
think extending UGen would be more useful. That seems more re-usable to me
though it might also lead to more conservative and less impulsive designs.

It wasn't an incredibly serious suggestion. :D

Well, you never know and it's a interesting topic for debate. It's at least
fascinating to wonder what would go wrong, where and why. Theorising over
this made me marvel at how there aren't so many more things that go wrong.

> In ruck the lambda assignment is just that, an assignment. To
> "disconnect" it you set a new value.

I do like that. It does get around a .op() for each of the (new)inputs and
it seems quite coherent with seeing these connections as assignments. Also;
for your strategy (unlike my own version) there wouldn't be much use to a
.op() there. I think that syntax-wise there are some nice ideas here though
these ideas might only start to really shine with realtime performance and a
interactive interpreter. Maybe ruck could be a front-end for SC? That might
work, other such front-ends have been written, though that might mean losing
strong timing.