[chuck-users] GC vs real-time (was Getting Started with ChucK)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:09:17 EDT 2009

Tom Duff;

The last time I
> looked, a couple of months ago, Chuck's garbage collector was a stub, and
> even the stub wasn't called from anywhere.  It doesn't have one!

To place one note in the margin of your post (that I otherwise agree with);
We do seem to have some garbage collection or at least we have some
reference counting and collection. A while ago Mike had his big fight with
the type system and according to the latest theories -if I remember
correctly- under some conditions passing references to objects (especially
home-made classes in arrays) there would be one reference too many that
would be removed which would lead to extremely hard to trace crashes.

As far as I know at that point we had a bug in the GC we don't fully have
yet.

Aside from that I agree with what you said (at least the things I already
know about). I also would like to remark that Ge&co have been thinking about
GC for a long time now. I'm certain they will already be aware of any and
all papers on GC in realtime systems as the problem is well known and
recognised. Evidently it's solvable as SC seems to be doing fine as well.

Oh, and I'd like to also mention that I *have* made ChucK use virtual
memory. I found that when you get into that kind of situation, in my
exprerience, you won't be running in realtime but will be making coffee (or
dinner!) while your laptop's fan gets a workout ;-).