[chuck-users] GC vs real-time (was Getting Started with ChucK)

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Thu Jul 23 18:54:34 EDT 2009

On 24 Jul 2009, at 00:09, Kassen wrote:

> Oh, and I'd like to also mention that I *have* made ChucK use
> virtual memory. I found that when you get into that kind of
> situation, in my exprerience, you won't be running in realtime but
> will be making coffee (or dinner!) while your laptop's fan gets a
> workout ;-).

What might this mean? On UNIX computers, each process gets a couple of
address spaces on their own, like function stack, heap, program static
data; on a 32-bit machine they are typically 2 GB each and handled by
virtual memory, built into the OS. One can check usage by commands
like 'systat vmstat', 'vm_stat'. If there is too much paging, there is
too little available RAM relative the programs in use.

   Hans