[chuck-users] implementing a "wait for signal with timeout"

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:40:03 EDT 2009

Hey Robert,

>> ... The problem with killing the
>> thread is that you leak 88K with each thread (!!!).

Normally, I feel like I'm the guy complaining about this kind of
thing.  ;-)  I've decided that, despite the memory and performance
issues surrounding shreds, sporking them, & cetera, I have decided
that the ChucKian way of solving these types of problems is better
than trying to program around them in ChucK.  Programming around
ChucK's issues in any other language would not be terribly hard, but
in ChucK, it is hard.  The thing is that ChucK provides a way of doing
this stuff in a small amount of code and it takes an amount of code
multiple orders of magnitude larger to solve the same problem in an
performance/memory-optimized way.

The attached piece of code is something that Spencer Salazar whipped
up for me one day in response to my gripe about shreds dying without
finishing.  It combines the idea of a shred and an event and I've
based a lot of my frameworks around this one piece of code (thank you
Spencer!).  To use it, you subclass it and override the run() method
with your sporkable shred code, instantiate your subclass and spawn
the shred with yourForkable.start().  It would not be difficult to
subclass this in such a way as to incorporate the concept of "wait for
a signal (e.g. event.broadcast()) OR for a specific time to elapse,
whichever comes first."  Or it might be that your code wouldn't need
such a thing, if you use this--I honestly don't know.

While this implementation doesn't explicitly reuse shreds, I have
found solace in programming as if the memory leaks and performance
issues don't exist and I get more real work done this way.  One day,
these problems will no longer exist and all our code will run much
smoother.  Until then, I've used this code as a basis for a granular
synthesis implementation in which every grain is at least one (if not
more) shred(s) and there's still a lot it can do before it breaks.
I've tried programming around these issues, however, and I end up with
code I can't even read, let alone understand or debug.

It's like there's a path-of-least-resistance that ChucK's system
provides.  Yes, if you travel that path you will run into certain
issues, however, if you don't travel that path, you might as well be
using something else, because you're missing out on the revolution
that this path represents.

This is just my 2 cents.

_mike